28 September 2006

Prognosis - Alan Milburn

Alan Milburn whacked about the fringe this year talking a lot about the need to redistribute power (good point) and the need to privatise a lot of the public sector to do it (wrong approach, mate.)

The Labour Party Conference is not a very good platform for backbenchers who want to make a push for the leadership as they don't have the set piece speech opportunities that the Cabinet ministers do (the Tory idea last year, where the leader resigned before the conference and there was a special session for the contenders to make their pitch, worked a lot better.) I think Milburn blew his gig when he made a pig's ear of the election campaign 18 months ago and no matter how many manic fringe speeches he makes, he's not going to get into any kind of position to make a bid now. I haven't worried much about what I would do if Milburn gets to Number 10 because frankly I am more likely to win the Lottery (and I don't even buy a ticket.)

No comments: