17 November 2006

Hal's Friday Evening Blog Review #7 - Life of an I.T. Grunt

Delving further into the techno-geek territory hestaked out last week, Hal at last uncovers a blog we can laugh with, not just at:

Life of an I.T. Grunt
appears to have kicked off on 27th September with the following statement:

I have a lot of thoughts on how application development should be done. Almost 15 years in the business, and I am now at a point where I have a vision of what it takes to build applications "right". I have also seen a lot of garbage in this business -- this is where I expose it. I may even name names


A very noble and worthwhile aim, which the blogger in question manages to fulfill admirably over posts with great titles such as "Get Off The Skyline Before You Piss Off The Bozo", "The Return of the Bozo IT Manager", "When A Programmer Drops A Grenade In Your Lap", "Did That Geek Hack My Hard Drive?", and several more. "Tunnel Rat", as he calls himself, goes against blogging convention with long posts which are more like short stories than anything else. Sometimes you get a great paragraph, like:


I was wading through the alimentary canal of TCTSRN [The Company That Shall Remain Nameless]. This is where all the shit came from. All the extracts, downloads, uploads, everything. All of it living in hundreds of 5,000 line files. Procedural. Hacked. Undocumented. I felt like Martin Sheen in Apocalypse Now, going through the dossier of Colonel Kurtz. Bewildered. Floating up the river on a secret mission to Cambodia.


Sometimes it's just a classic one-line putdown, like:

“What would you say if I asked you to shove this Logitech G7 Laser Mouse up your ass?” I asked as I held up my mouse.


Be warned, there is some tech-speak in this, and not everyone will be able to get down with the whole thing... which makes it more amusing, if anything. This really is good quality stuff and I hope the guy packages up the whole thing and makes a book of it when he has enough material to do that, as it really is high quality. Going from strength to strength on these blog reviews now!

No comments: