20 October 2006

Hal's Friday evening blog Review #4 - Black Sun Over A Blue Sky

With the previous 3 Friday Evening Blog Reviews, you'll have pretty much worked out the blog contents from the title. Not so here. I clicked on this one out of the several on the 'most recently posted' Blogger window as I genuinely did not know what to expect. It was the only title with any intrigue to it. My only possible reference points were Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun" and the Space 1999 episode "Black Sun"... neither of which were much help in the event.
Black Sun Over A Blue Sky is, to quote the author, Julien, who lives in Nice, "a blog about music and gay politics and black magick, because without these things we are nothing." And maybe Julien is right about that. My knowledge of gay politics is sketchy but I am a quick learner. I particularly liked the post about the Freddy Mercury action figure...

Please Freddy Mercury have mercy on us.
I would never like to be a worshipped-18inch-gay-figure.


For expertise on 'black magick' (as opposed to seven-foot tall blood-drinking reptiles) you will have to look elsewhere, as the verdict on me from a good friend back in 1994, that "[I] don't know a thing about tarot", still stands, and my ignorance extends to pretty much everything with the vaguest whiff of the occult. (I do own a copy of the I Ching, but then it once said in Doctor Who that that was "random samplings to reflect the broad material flow of the universe", so that doesn't count.)

I do know a little about music, and this guy's tastes are interesting and informative, for example:

  • a review of Pagan Muzik, a collection of 17 locked grooves on vinyl.
  • Musings on the tortured genius that is Scott Walker.
  • possibly the internet's first gay guide to Iron Maiden. (He likes Killers best followed by Seventh Son of a Seventh Son... both good choices. And I should know as I picked up a job lot of Maiden albums on vinyl very cheaply in 2002. Thanks Emma!
In addition to the above there is a lot of very pseudy stuff that I couldn't get my head round (though it may make sense to many of you out there, in which case, good luck to ya), but in summary, to quote Jarman's Wittgenstein, "this is a very pleasant pineapple".

No comments: